Monday, March 31, 2014

Laible Connection to Moultons and Ricketts

Zig-Zagging back and forth from paternal to maternal sides past my grandfather's generation

For me, the Laible lineage is on MY maternal side--my mother's maiden name is Laible. So follow the last names:
1. Rebecca Jane Morris Sadler
2. Jane Laible Morris (& John Morris); parents
3. Virgil Laible (& Rowena Pelz); grandparents
4. Samuel Laible and Rosalia Crank Laible; great-grands
5. (James Crank & ) Sophia Moulton; 2nd greats
6. Isaac Moulton (& Mary Hatton); 3rd greats
7. Jeremiah Moulton and Vienna Ricketts; 4th greats
8. Robert Ricketts (& Susanna Wilson); 5th greats

This past Thursday afternoon, my husband and I located the graveyard and markers for #8--my 5th great grandparents!!!!

Robert and Susanna (or Susannah) Ricketts were both born in Maryland according to other researchers. I don't know yet how or when they married but they were in Dearborn County, IN when Vienna was born in 1809. Dearborn County was divided shortly after that and Rising Sun became the county seat for Ohio County.

About 7 1/2 miles NW of Rising Sun was where my husband and I found the Mt. Carmel Cemetery along Indiana Route 56. This is in Cass Township.

What I didn't know until I went to the Ohio County Historical Museum and the Mt. Carmel Cemetery was that Robert Ricketts had served in the Revolutionary War. I also didn't know that his uncle, Nathan Ricketts, also served and is buried next to Robert. Due to their military service, some one or group (possibly DAR or SAR) have replaced their old stones with new markers indicating their military units.

Susanna's marker has not been replaced and by the photos her first and last name are barely noticeable.




I'm having trouble loading the other photos, so I will end this posting and try posting Nathan's and Susanna's later.

No comments:

Post a Comment